Major extension in Stamford Hill
Rookwood Road, London N16
STF secured planning permission for:
- The retention of all 42 existing flats
- Conversion and extension of existing ground floor common room to create two residential flats
- Erection of a seven-storey side extension at ground to (new) sixth floor level, to enlarge the new ground floor flat, and to create five new flats above (first to fifth floors)
- Erection of a single-storey roof extension across existing building and new side extension to create new sixth floor level, comprising five new residential units
- Associated refuse/recycling storage, car parking, cycle storage and other ancillary works.
The existing 42 dwellings (35 x bedsits, 6 x 1-bedroom flats, and 1 x 2-bedroom flat) are increased to 55 dwellings with the addition of 4 x 1 bedroom flats, 2 x 2 bedroom flats, 6 x 3 bedroom flats, and 1 x 4 bedroom flat, increasing the number of bedrooms from 43 to 71, and bed spaces from 50 to 100.
The new design also creates a sympathetic modern rooftop design which replaces the unsuitable and unsightly metal mansard that was previously approved.
The proposed materials of the new building will be:
- Dark red standing-seam zinc cladding to the rooftop extension
- A pixelated brickwork effect in the side extension will be employed by using diverse coloured bricks
- New balconies facing the Grade 2 listed New Synagogue opposite, will be dark red zinc to match the new roof cladding.
Construction commenced in June 2019.